Sunday, October 12, 2008

To Be... c01

I always wanted to scanslate a shoujo series, and this is only 2 volumes long so I hope to be done soon. The title is "To Be..." and the story goes something like this:
In order to become a beautician, Hikari Takaya moves to Tokyo with her high-school sweetheart. But life at beauty school is completely different from what she expected. A love story about the dreams and romance of youth. Author: Sakurayama Kazumi.

I used to be quite the shoujo reader a few years ago, but then I quickly realized that most of them are just recycling the same stories and cliches over and over again. The few good ones are really good, but you have to sift through a lot of chaff to get to it. Of course every manga "genre" has its share of poor series, but I think it's only shoujo that has fully 90% of its titles being next to terrible. I wish I could say that "To Be..." was one of the rare exceptions, but... well, I'll let you make up your own minds:

To Be... chapter 01