Sunday, October 19, 2008

Your suggestions

When I started this whole thing, I asked for suggestions of manga to scanslate and I've gotten a pretty positive response so far. As promised I've checked out most of the titles I got and I'm here to present my report. I will point out, though, that just because a manga is fun to read doesn't mean it's fun to scanslate. Keep that in mind.

Me and the Devil Blues: Wow, this is surprisingly good. It's been a while since I read something this good. But I don't want to do it. Yup, just like that.

No Side: As I said, I plan to do this as soon as I can get some raws. I own the books in Japanese so it doesn't matter whether they're French raws, Spanish raws, Chinese raws, whatever.

Wadatsumi (or something?): Speaking of Chinese raws, I can't read Chinese. If you want me to check something out it has to be in English or Japanese. Heck, if I could read Chinese I wouldn't be here right now. I'd be out there buying up every issue of Oriental Heroes and taking a month off work to read them all, ni hao!

Say Hello to Black Jack - There's no denying it's an excellent manga, but... I hate hospitals and medical dramas so I don't see myself working on this. You should've seen the look on my face when I was reading the operating scenes. When it got to the second chapter with the old man, urrgggghhhh...delete.

Jigoku Sensei Nube - Not bad, but not interesting enough to justify 31 volumes of work. I don't have that kind of stamina yet. And the whole occult thing is a bit....

Rainbow - The content is too raw and messy and depressing for me. I couldn't even make it through the first chapter. Just violence and sadism doesn't necessarily make for a good manga.

Jaja Uma Grooming Up! - After 3 volumes I still can't quite make up my mind. Hmm... I might need to read a little more, but I don't really want to. That's a bad sign, isn't it?

Shindou - Ho-hummm... Give me Nodame Cantabile any day.

Wind Mill - It's from the same mangaka as Yakitate Japan so I was expecting something good but I was rather disappointed. Come to think of it, I've read a lot of manga about baseball but not a single one to date has been able to make me care about or understand the game.